1 cup Shiro Mitten
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced garlic
1 tomato, finely diced
1 jalapeno, sliced - no seed (optional)
1/2 cup avocado or grapeseed oil, or Niter Kibbeh
1 teaspoon Bessobela
1 teaspoon salt
5 cups water
Mince onion and garlic, finely chop the tomato.
- Cook finely diced onion in a tablespoon of the oil or Niter Kibbeh over medium heat until tender. Stir frequently for 6 minutes, allowing the onion to slowly sweat (set aside 1 cup of hot water to add as needed to prevent browning).
- Add the rest of the oil and cook until onions are translucent and tender, for about 2 minutes
- Add in the tomato and mix, allowing for the sauce to cook down, approximately 6 minutes
- Add garlic and sauté, adding splashes of water as needed. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute
- Add what is left of the 4 cups of water, and bring to a boil
- Pour in the shiro powder and stir frequently to ensure the mixture is not lumpy. Keep high heat for another 4 minutes
- Reduce heat slightly so that the mixture is simmering, not boiling. The shiro will thicken as it simmers; add water as needed to arrive at desirable texture and thickness
- Stir in the bessobela, add sea salt to taste, and garnish with Jalapeno (optional)
Serves: | Prep Time: 7 minutes | Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes
WRITTEN BY JOHANNA LARAWAY, EDITED BY IJEOMA EJEM.
Click here to download printable recipe